The international Master’s Degree Programme in Creative Sustainability (CS) is a joint master’s degree programme at School of Arts, Design and Architecture, School of Business and School of Engineering. Creative Sustainability programme provides a multidisciplinary learning platform in the fields of architecture, built environment, business, design and real estate.
In a nutshell
|Who can apply?||Anyone with a suitable bachelor’s degree or an equivalent experience in either one of architecture/ urban planning, real estate/ land management/ civil engineering, business administration/ economics/ social sciences/ law, or design can.|
|How long do I study?||It takes 2 years to complete the master’s degree.|
|How many credits does it entail?||You are expected to acquire 120 ECTS including master’s thesis following your own School’s degree requirements. See study structure according to your background here.|
|Which degree do I acquire?||You will graduate with degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Science in Architecture or Landscape Planning, Master of Science in Technology or Master of Science in Economics according to the route you take.|
The most significant development challenges of sustainability are associated with climate change, global poverty, social and economical inequality, population growth as well as demographic changes and adaptation to rapid global economic changes. Global and local challenges and the complexity of future scenarios require strengthening the multidisciplinary approach and the inter-linkage of environmental, economic, socio-cultural aspects in education. This raises the role of higher education and research as an essential element of sustainable development in society.
Multidisciplinary Approach to Sustainability
The Master´s Degree Programme in Creative Sustainability brings together students from different fields to study in multidisciplinary teams that increases understanding of different disciplines and enables adapting a holistic approach. This activates students to create new sustainable solutions for human, urban, industrial and business environments. The pedagogical approach is based on integrating teaching and research, problem-based learning, blended learning and strong connection to practical outcomes.
Creative Sustainability studies prepare students to work as sustainability experts in organizations that have a strategic view on transformation towards sustainability. These include the private and public sectors as well as a wide range of NGO´s.
The Competence Areas
- Multidisciplinary approach: developing capabilities in adapting knowledge, skills and new approaches to reach collaborative solutions based on ecological, economical and socio-cultural sustainability.
- Systems approach: integrating analytic and systemic thinking in critical problem solving that creates new holistic understanding about complex situations in society. The emphasis is on global awareness within the context of local communities and simultaneous modification of different aspects of sustainability.
- Design thinking: enhancing creative problem solving capabilities that utilise the methods of the design process in defining the problem, generating ideas and obtaining solutions.
- Project management: enhancing capabilities in multidisciplinary team leadership and communication in versatile industrial, urban and business environments that promotes sustainability in various cultural contexts.
- Business management: developing new approaches and skills for creating sustainable business models and improvement of business ethics and corporate responsibility.
The studies include
- Compulsory joint CS studies: all the CS master students from the four Departments study together
- Compulsory studies in student’s own Department: studying within student’s own Department
- Optional CS studies: CS master students from four Departments study together